Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Spring Craving

Sorry for the lousy photo.  I was there at the wrong time
of day.  At least you can enjoy the blue sky and clouds in the reflection. 
This sign appears in the window of a local frozen custard stand.  Given that today is the last day of February and they are not open I would have to say the sign lies.  But the artist needs to get a few attaboys for their creativity.

Now how did I know about this non-event, given that I am not a frequent visitor to any type of ice cream establishment?  And, our town has four that I know of.  Well, on the first few sunny days of spring (and spring is coming early to our part of the country) I get a craving for an ice cream cone.  This particular place is like the Dairy Queen's of my youth, where you walk up to the window and order and sit on the patio to enjoy your treat; so you would think I would choose one of the other three that have indoor dining rooms.  Unfortunately, I have no choice because this is the only place in town that cares about diabetics, like me,  and offers a no sugar added frozen custard. Yes, I would rather have the real stuff rich with heavy cream and sugar but, I'm thankful the owner of this stand cares enough to offer something for those of us with restrictive diets.

The recording on the stands phone tells me I will have to wait until March 4th to enjoy my first cone of the season.  My question is why didn't I call them first. I could have saved a trip.  But, no harm idone.  I managed to not waste my trip by popping into the Sub Shop next door for my favorite bag of Cheetos and a tuna sandwich.

If the weather holds you now know where I will be on Saturday. I just hope that my visit does not leave me with sphenopalatine ganglion neuralgia.  In case your wondering that is the medical term for an ice cream headache.  

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've ever tasted frozen custard! 'Have to ask Tom if that isn't a regional treat. (Then again, most folks don't know what I'm talking about when I say my folks only purchased ice milk, because the cost of real ice cream was 'too dear.')

    I hope your custard stand is open ...and your taste buds are happy again. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh! Do I ever remember Ice Milk. That is all that most of my friends and family served back in the day. My parents would never buy any frozen treats. Since we had a cow we would make our own ice cream whenever we had extra dairy products. Mostly on birthdays. And of course we had to freeze enough ice first. We had a hand crank ice cream freezer and the boys would fight over who got to sit on top of the cold machine and who was first to turn the crank.

      Delete
  3. Well, the shop should be open by now, did you go back on Saturday?
    I love both ice cream and frozen yogurt a lot. Unfortunately, I can't have either of them.

    ReplyDelete